joinup privacy notice
1. Who we are
joinup is a project of the ETH Entrepreneur Club, Stampfenbachstrasse 52/56, CH-8006 Zurich (“we” or “us”). We are the controller for the processing of personal data in accordance with this privacy notice. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the address above.
2. Which data will be collected and processed in connection with the use of joinup?
2.1. Visiting the joinup website
When you visit our website, we process personal data. This data includes, for example, log data, information about the time our website was accessed, and the duration of the visit and the pages accessed. We use "cookies", which are small text files that are temporarily or permanently stored on your device when you visit our website. We use necessary cookies to make this website work. We also use analytics cookies to help us improve it. You may disable cookies by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.
2.2. Registration and Profile
To create an account, you need to provide data including your name, email address and a password. You may choose to provide information on your profile, such as your education, work experience, skills, photo or place of residence. Please do not post or add personal data to your profile that you would not want to be publicly available. If you are an authorized representative of a startup company, you can add information on the startup company to your profile.
By accessing joinup through your Google or GitHub account, you understand that Google or GitHub will share certain data detailed in the above paragraph for the purposes of authentication to permit you to access joinup. You may stop this at any time from your Google or GitHub account. Google or GitHub may also ask for your permission to share certain other details with joinup, including but not limited to your name, profile picture, public profile information, and email address. Once you give this permission, the requested information will be shared with joinup. The shared information will remain associated with your joinup profile until you modify or delete it. Please note that your relationship with Google or GitHub or any other third-party website is governed solely by your agreement with such third-party website.
2.3. Communication with us
We process personal data when you contact us. Normally, we only require information such as name and contact data and the content and time of the relevant messages.
2.4. Communication including job applications between you and other users
You may contact other talents and startup company representatives using the respective contact form. Such messages including job applications will be directly sent to the email address of the respective user. Please note that we are not in control of the information you submit to other users. In the same way, other users may contact you.
3. For what purposes and on what legal bases will we process the collected data?
We use the data collected for the following purposes and the following legal bases:
- to enable talents and startup company representatives to connect with each other, to apply for or fill job vacancies, and exchange information. Our legal basis for this is the performance of the services based on our terms and conditions or (if applicable) your consent, expressly given during the registration process.
- In order to comply with legal obligations, we may have to process personal data. This is the case, for example, if an authority requires documents containing your name and contact details. Our legal basis for this is the compliance with legal obligations.
4. Data Transfers
In order to provide joinup, we mandate service providers in Switzerland and abroad. This mainly concerns services in the area of IT services, e.g. maintenance and operation of systems, services related to data storage (hosting), and data analytics.
For hosting and data analytics, we currently partner with Google LLC, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, California 94043, USA. We have entered into a data processing agreement with Google based on the standard contractual clauses. A copy is available here. For information on other service providers, please see section 2.
If a third party acquires, or plans to acquire, joinup or other assets, we may disclose personal data to that third party, including at the negotiation stage.
5. Data retention
We store personal data as long as it is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected (see section 3) and according to applicable legal requirements. Further, we store personal data if it there is a legitimate interest in the retention, e.g. if we need the data in order to enforce or defend against claims or to guarantee IT security.
6. Data security
We take appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect your personal data. This includes access controls to your joinup account.
7. Your rights
The data protection law gives you certain rights to control your personal data:
- You have the right to request, at any time and free of charge, access to your personal data stored and processed by us. This gives you the opportunity to check which personal data we process about you and to verify that it is used in accordance with applicable data protection law.
- You have various rights that help you control the processing of your personal data by us. You can request that we correct or supplement incorrect or incomplete data, that we restrict the processing for certain purposes (e.g. by objecting to marketing or by revoking your consent) or that we delete your personal data.
Please note that these rights are subject to legal requirements and restrictions.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us (see section 1).
We change this privacy notice from time to time. It was last updated on 18.01.2021.